Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Shaping Up: January 1

Consider the following:

"You don't need more opportunity. You need to learn to execute on the opportunities you already have." -Michael Hyatt
Does that make you angry? Because it made me angry when I first read it. This man doesn't know my life or my circumstances or how much money I make.  How dare he. 

Last January, I stumbled upon an ad for Hyatt's newly released Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals. And I thought, well, the title itself meets my requirements and I have nothing to lose but $20.

The book was released on January 2 and I had it in my hands shortly thereafter. I completed the assessment he recommends (mentioned in yesterday's post; you can take it here). Hyatt divides life into ten aspects: intellectual, emotional, spiritual, physical, marital, parental, social, vocational, avocational, and financial. Each of these topics is analyzed in the assessment. Obviously, not all areas apply to every person (I'm not a parent). I received my results and was immediately deflated. While I did have two area where I scored highly, I had two others where I scored very, very low. I was not surprised, but I was discouraged.

I admit, I wallowed. And I realized that wallowing was how I had lived my last decade instead of capitalizing on my opportunities. I finished Hyatt's book. I considered the opening quote. And I realized that it was time for me to begin taking ownership of my own opportunities.

So I signed up for a leadership class. I committed to reading 100 books in a year. I began bullet journaling and scheduling out every aspect of my day. I quickly learned that the more I wrote down and scheduled, not only did I get more done, but I also had more time to pursue the things I wanted to do! Basically, when I accepted Hyatt's premise that I needed to execute on my existing opportunities, an increasing amount of opportunity made itself available to me.

Setting and achieving goals isn't usually so scary now. I've gotten in the habit of looking at a large problem and breaking it into tiny, less-than-bite-sized pieces. Just this week, for example...my kitchen has been a disaster this whole holiday season. Every day, my goal has been "clean the kitchen." Besides running the dishwasher so we had clean plates and forks, I was making no progress. Yesterday, I had had enough. I set one goal for myself: clean the range. Today, my goal was to clean two pans that had been "soaking" for longer than I care to admit. I did a little more than I had bargained with myself each time, and tonight I will go to bed with a kitchen cleaner than it's been in a long time. This was accomplished by setting small, concrete goals rather than global, vague goals.

What's a project you haven't accomplished that is weighing on you? What is one small step can you take to make just a tiny bit of progress? I challenge to write down two small, concrete steps you can take towards accomplishing that goal: one step for tomorrow and one for Friday. They can simple, 5 minute tasks. But do them. Then comment and tell me so I can celebrate with you!

Currently Reading: Recovery: Freedom From Our Addictions

Currently Watching: University of Texas OWN University of Georgia at the Sugar Bowl

Currently Eating: Sausage and Pepper Bake (Note for Paleo/Keto folks: Read your sausage labels carefully to make sure it doesn't have sugar or undesirable fillers!)

Current Favorite Amazon Product:



Look how fun this is: It's a 5-year journal for those of us bad at journaling. Just answer one question a day and see how your answers change over the years!






2 comments:

  1. Today was cleaning day at my house too. Its amazing how messy a space can get even without kids. Since I work from home, I like to challenge myself to timed tasks. For example, if a conference call gets done early and I have 10 mins before the next one starts, I challenge myself to fold and put away a load of laundry in that ten minutes. Or while I'm popping a bag of popcorn for an afternoon snack, I try and get the dishwasher emptied before the microwave beeps. They're lame little challenges I give myself, but by the end of the work day, the house is tidy and I don't feel like I spent 2 straight hours cleaning it.
    I do have a lot of work to do to better manage my free time though so I make more room for crafting and reading. My evenings and weekends tend to slip away pretty easily.
    Also. I love the extras you share such as what you're watching, reading, and eating. I especially love your Amazon favs and plan to check out that journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timed tasks are great! It's amazing what you can get done when you're testing yourself. I do the "commercial break" tasks sometimes. I try to empty the dishwasher, change out laundry, or putting a pile of junk away during a commercial break. Isn't it interesting how free time can really slip away? I've learned that I actually have to schedule my free time, otherwise I either fill it with duties or I have no idea how I wasted my day. I'll be blogging about my scheduling routine soon! And thanks for the feedback...I'm glad you enjoy my little updates!

      Delete

Book Reflections - Recovery: Freedom From Our Addictions

(Disclaimer: This post took me over a week to write so some of the timeline is off. This was a hard post for me to write.) "When ar...